Pages

Tuesday 31 January 2012

Please stop this madness


I’m new at this blogging thing so if that first entry didn’t suffice as a good enough introduction to my life, my sincerest apologies. On that note, as promised, I would like to just dive into my first rant of the day. Ah, there’s nothing like a cup of Costco coffee and a good rant. So, on that note, what is with people inserting their dirty finger into the mouth of a crying baby? Is this a generational thing? Was this taught in “home ec.” circa 1985ish? I can’t for the life of me figure it out. Maybe it’s because the paramedic part of me is a total germ-a-phobe and I can’t imagine anything more disgusting than a finger that’s been God-knows-where. I’m sorry if while reading this you’re remembering a time that you’ve had a finger and/or knuckle in the mouth of a child you did not give birth to. I’m not trying to offend you or make you feel bad about yourself. Honest. I get that it’s probably an automatic reflex and was probably passed down from some matriarch in your life, and I’m sure nothing ever came of it in the long run. However, this practice, on the grand scale of ‘things you should not do to someone else’s baby’, is right up there with smoking a cigarette in my child’s face. Like really. Think about what you’ve touched today and the last time you washed your hands. Also, think about how long you spent washing your hands when you did. I’m sure, positive actually, that you didn’t sing “Happy Birthday” twice in your head to ensure the antibacterial soap has had a chance to do its thing. To put things into perspective; how would you like it if I put my finger in your mouth?


No comments:

Post a Comment